Quinoa Mediterranean Pizza
By Sabrina from Rawspirations
Embracing a gluten free diet doesn’t have to mean ditching your love of Italian food. This gluten free pizza is made from quinoa and tastes seriously amazing!
One of the hardest things for me when I decided to eliminate all gluten & wheat from my diet was the thought of missing out on Mum’s traditional Italian pizza’s whenever we visited. I knew if I didn’t come up with a substitute & fast, then eventually I would lose all control of my eating habits and give in to that little voice inside my head telling me that a little won’t hurt & then later suffer the consequences that one experiences with a gluten intolerance. The things we do for food huh!!
This pizza to me is the closest I will come to Mums & it’s pretty safe to say that when I make them, I really don’t feel as though I’m missing out. To be honest, it’s the other way around, I feel as though they are missing out!!
For the sauce
1 bottle of Italian tomato pasta sauce
(Healthy Mama recommends fresh tomatoes crushed)
½ bunch fresh basil
3 medium sized garlic cloves
1-2 teaspoons rock salt (more to taste)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Olive oil (to drizzle)
½ cup filtered water
For the base
2 cups white quinoa (cooked according to packet instructions)
2 organic eggs
1 large garlic clove (2 if small)
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
1 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
Pinch of black pepper
1 punnet mixed colour sweet cherry tomatoes (halved)
2 ripe avocados sliced
½ bunch fresh basil (torn into smaller pieces)
1 cup Greek pitted Kalamata olives halved
1 red onion
thinly sliced Vegan mozzarella or bocconcini balls
Good quality olive oil
- To make the sauce, lightly fry the garlic in a saucepan on low heat using the olive oil until it slightly starts to brown.
- Add all remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and allow to
- simmer for 30 – 45mins.
- Meanwhile, to make the crust, line two flat baking trays with baking paper. Place all crust ingredients into a large bowl and mix together until well combined.
- Take about a cup’s worth from bowl and on the lined tray, shape into flat and round pizzas.
- Once you have all your pizzas shaped out and ready to go, place in the oven for around 15 mins at 390°F/200°c, or until they are lightly brown.
- Take bases out of the open and decorate you pizzas with just the tomatoes, onion, olives & cheese.
- Return to oven for 5 -10 mins. Remember, your pizzas are already cooked, this step is just to melt to cheese & lightly brown the onions.
- Remove pizzas from the oven. Top with remaining ingredients, drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and serve!
This gluten free pizza was created by Sabrina at Rawspirations. Enjoy this recipe and 2 other gluten free pizza base options in Part 1 of the Yellow Edition of Healthy Mama Magazine. Enjoy your FREE subscription below…x
Enjoy Your Full FREE Subscription to Healthy Mama Magazine Today!
Join 1000’s of mama’s who are creating the best possible health for their families and their little happy souls.